miércoles, 30 de mayo de 2018

About Gender Roles (In my experience)

¿Do I feel like a woman? 

Yes, I believe I do. I'm one and I've been treated as one too. Even when I know we are living in a time were this kind of "label" is being discussed, I just can't help it!!! Now, I'm not saying that it's something I hate or something I don't like but, I believe that the exageration of expect that women or men acts in a certain way is something that shouldn't be an obligation.

In my experience, I was born and rised in a family where the genre models were (and are) always very clear. For example, my family is formed by a majority of women (mother, sister, grandmother and me) and even when my mom works, in the weekends my father is always the MOST IMPORTANT for her, you know, he is the "man of the house" or the one who bring the sustent of the house, and she is always trying to served and treat him as a king. 

I absolutely hate that and is something that I've been figthing with her a lot now, because my father is all grown man and he can perfectly do his things alone! When I was a little girl that attitude was very normal.

Another example, is that since I was a little girl, my mother always buy only dresses for me to wear, and I always has to be clean and not play in the dirt!!! Well, maybe it wasn't always this restrictive. At least I was allowed to play with my friends to hide and seek and play with balloons and ride my bicycle or even play video games, thing that usually are "masculine", but in my birthdays or christmas I always recieved dolls to play with or any "Barbie" products. 

All this attitudes, formed in my mind as a child a vision of what is my "role in society", but that vision was changing as time passed, because even when I am a woman and I feel like a woman, I found out that I didn't fit in the stereotype of the "all femenine and girly girl", and even when that makes me a little sad in my teenager years, with time I've learned that is not necessarly to be all femenine or achieved certain goals to been treated as a girl.

But i'ts not something so easy just to start to thing different, even now I somethimes feels like I'm not so pretty or I don't dress so beautiful as other girls, but I've been working about it, convinced myself that I'm beautiful just in the way I am and it doesn't matter if I like "male stuff", because is only material things, all that matter is how I feel with myself.

I think is time to change that closed mentality of believe that a girl has to be this kind of job or thet a girl has to be soft and gentle with a man or man has to be strong. I want to cchange my mentality I know is a slow process because came from my roots, but I have a lot of people sourronding me tht believe the same that I do I work togheter all the time to help me and teach others to open their minds to this change. 

Especially in our cause as women while we are in disadvantage.

2 comentarios:

  1. I have the same struggle with my appearance and the social pressure, its a hard work.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Is time to finish to the prejudices of gender stereotypes.

    ResponderEliminar